Thursday, June 7, 2012

Iran documentary - Motivation - Part 1


I wanted to write about one of the greatest achievements of my life for a long time. I have made documentary about Iran in 2-3 years, it took me a long time, but the result was amazing, over a million people have seen it, and the comments and feedback was great. But since then, I was looking for an opportunity to talk about why I put 3 years of my life to make such a thing, although I have never been a history or film making major.
I was born and raised in Tehran, Iran. My closest friends are in Iran, my greatest experiences are from there, my personality shaped in there. So I know what Iran is and what it is not. When I came out of Iran, I went to Dubai, in Dubai I went to American College, which so many of the instructors were European/American. They were very nice, and I was friend with most of them. But over time, I learned that what they know about Iran is totally different from the Iran I know; they thought that people are all religious, they all hate USA and etc. So I used to talk to them a lot, and give them as much as information I had, but I was a computer science major, who had experiences in marketing too, and had so many experiences but not any in history and culture major. In this phase I was learning, and it was like an introduction to me, learning new ideas about Iran, which were not true. Once my Canadian teacher said, until the 1979 revolution in Iran, in all of our history books, we had so many materials about the great Persia, and how they helped others and etc, but after the revolution, it was all gone. This was the first awakening call for me to realize that their ideas is not from the reality of Iran, but it’s from politics and games.
I went to Germany, Italy, Honduras, USA and etc, and all of them for me was new and interesting experiences, I was learning new thing about myself and life and others, but I knew one thing, that they are all wrong about Iran, the Iran I was born in and raised in, was not the one they were talking about, and it was annoying me, because it was so hard for me to explain it to them, because of two reasons: 1. I did not have enough information to back up my thoughts and ideas, and I knew that there are so many young Iranians like me all over the world, who don’t know how to communicate the reality of Iran to others, and some who are so young who even don’t know which one is the reality of Iran? So I was thinking, what could I do ?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great you want to show people a side of Iran that most people have no idea about. I will be honest I don't know much about Iranians and I have stereotyped people from their due to ignorance of not knowing much the country, and especially because of the 1979 event that happened with the American prisoners. I am glad to have you in my class I have a feeling I will learn a lot from you.

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed by your video. That truly was an impressive feat. All of your commitment and time spent on it was very well worth it. The best part of it was that you were able to educate the viewers at the same time.

I have a lot of respect for you going up to your instructors and telling them the truth about the history of Iran. If I was in your shoes, I definitely would do the same. I also find it great how much pride you have in your country. Once some people leave their home country, they try so hard to assimilate to the country they move to that they lose sense of where they are from. Kudos to you!

nikkinassiri said...

I really enjoyed reading this post and watching the video. I am also from Iran and I can relate to a lot of the things you are saying. There is a misconception about Iran and the people so I think its a great thing to start spreading the word one documentary at a time.

Unknown said...

I believe that its great that people like you want to share a broader more cultural aspect of a culture that many in this country feel is uncivilized. Judgement are made everyday of middle eastern people that are contrary to the facts. many Americans don't understand the truth behind the war and why so many have to die for nothing (oil i guess). But in the interests of the nation and the people, judgments are made to put down a culture that has been alive for thousands of years before america.