Thursday, June 14, 2012

Iran documentary - Motivation - Last Part - 3

With those experiences I understood that the thing that I have to target is ignorance, the problem is misinformation or bad information, nothing else. But now that I had the information, how could I do that?! I still was not sure until I got a statistic class, which was all maths, but my professor, who was a great one, was very innovative, he made us to produce a video for our final project. Since I was a programmer in Iran, learning how to work with a new computer programs was not hard at all, and it was motivating. So I made my first video for him, it was easy and not that bad.
At the same time that I was learning to produce videos, I was searching and browsing in internet to learn more about Iran, what I got from that, and from TV, was that most of the videos and TV programs and news about Iran were all negative. And the main sources of information for so many people are those, so to change their ideas I had to target that. In those days, YouTube was growing and getting popular, but most of clips about Iran again were negative. So now I had the information, I had the knowledge, and I had the proper means of communication to transform those realities. 

I knew it’s a very hard thing to do, and to manage, where should I begin? What is the structure? What should I put in it and etc? As always I trusted the information that I gathered from people I have seen, and of course I trusted my gut. To find the best structure of it, I checked out useful sites that inform us about countries, for example Wikipedia, it is very useful, and the structure is great, so I decided to structure my videos close to the structure of Wikipedia. I put introduction, culture, and unique things (extra information that cannot be in Culture nor in Introduction). But something was missing, yes I had to talk about nowadays of Iran too, so I named the last part :”today of Iran”, which unlike the other parts, were presenting mostly photos of Iranians nowadays, and the cities and etc, rather than information. In all of those parts I found Iranian music to complement those information, to make the video more friendly and interesting.
So first I had to find the raw and useful data, photos and music, I found over thousands of photos, and a great deal of information and music. First, I complied the information mostly based on the wrong ideas about Iran, and then based on that information; I found the proper photos, and music. These all took me almost a year, and the last part which was the easiest part was producing the video, which took me almost 5-6 months.  In all of those time, I was very energetic and thoughtful, I made all of them from scratch, I saw some people cried over it, some were very proud, and some ashamed, those strong emotions showed me that I made the right choice.



No comments: