Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Language Challenges – Part 3


My first week was done, there are so many problems, I was thinking how can I solve them one by one? So I categorized them, philosophy and economy, category one. Calculus, no category, and Spanish, category II. My first lesson from the first week was that I cannot use ways that I normally used, or other people use to get successful, for example I can’t rely on class at all, because I don’t understand anything, and I am the only one with that problem, So whatever my solution is, its not in the classroom. And believe me, one of the worst thing in the world is being somewhere that you don’t understand anything, its really hard.
 Then I thought my only and best option is to learn and understand the material (in a way which I did not know yet), and then put them in my own words on the exams, this is the best I could do. The hardest part of these situations is that you have to rely on methods, and things that you have never tried, and you have no idea their successful rate, you just have to think, decide and try, that was exactly what I did, without any doubt. Then I needed a solid source to rely on, and understand the material, the professors were very helpful and nice, some were speaking English, but that was not an option, they were not my private tutor, so I had to find another way. I decided to only rely on the books, and read the books. But how can I understand those books? I don’t remember what the options were or if there were any feasible (not stupid) option, but after a while I found translators (which was not common at all 5-6 years ago), the only good translator I found was Elmundo.es. So I had to type the entire book in the translator to English, then understand it, and then translate it into the exams.  The problem was that again it was too time consuming. So I had to find a way to reduce the load of typing material.
When I say these, I really have to thank my background as an Iranian, we always try to better things, and learn better and faster way, in school or work or .. Sometimes it’s not a good thing, but in there it really helped me. When I study, I have learned to study the important points from the book, even in Iran, so I don’t waste my time, but in Honduras, and Spanish it was different, how can I understand key points when it’s in another language? I know the answer, you just have to trust your gut, and I did, like always ..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing a great job,, and very smart too! I still wish to learn Spanish lol