Monday, June 11, 2012

Iran documentary - Motivation - Part 2


First thing to fight these ideas were to learn the realities myself, so I studied about my country, the culture, history and etc. I studied more and more, and as I was learning more, I felt more that I am right about my country, and it amazed me although all the information is in the internet, but a few people read them. So the problem was ignorance, not hatred or etc. I had to target that. When I was in Honduras and as my friends in Honduras asked me a lot about Iran, and after studying a lot, I decided to hold an exhibition about Iran. Since I had a great relationship with the management and staff, they gave me permission to use anywhere I want to do that.
So I started, I think it took me 2-3 weeks to finish all the work, and I held it, I have put so many pictures and information, with those information and photos I targeted ignorant things that I have heard of Iran. A very simple example was that most of the people thought that Iran is desert, so to answer that, instead of saying not its not, I put pictures of the nature of Iran, pictures of four season in Iran, snowing and etc. Or so many of them thought that Iran culture is very strict and solid, which again is not true, I have put information about how we celebrate New Year and other festivals, and their symbolisms, how we value happiness, and kindness in every one of them. So first I wrote their wrong ideas, and then I found out a reality of Iran which answers that, and I put it in there.


 My project was very successful, they asked me so many questions, and they were amazed with those information, photos and etc. It was so successful that I began to think to do it in a larger scale over there, so what I rented a spot in their largest mall for a weekend, I asked my girlfriend, and my two girl friends to help me out, I made fancier photos and information, I worked 3 more weeks on that, and finally it was ready, and I did it, it was amazing, so many people wanted to know about Iran, they were all coming to there and asking us questions (all of my friends became experts on Iran too).  I remember a gentleman who came by, and asked me “why didn’t you put anything about Persian-Roman Wars? Why didn’t you say that Persians always won the fights and etc”, I was really shocked that he knew a lot about Iran, when we talked, he said that he had an Iranian neighbor in USA, and once he ate Iranian food, and he was amazed with that, and because of that he decided to learn about everything that Iran has, and that’s how he knew that much. A few people said that its all lies and etc, but they never came to talk, they just passed, which at that time, I easily had the tolerance to listen to them and talk to them.




1 comment:

lessons learned said...

Its amazing, inspiring, motivating and empowering on how much work you have done in order to open and widen the education of your culture. I find it very heart warming of you to be in a third world country teaching others about your own country's values, traditions, misconceptions, religion and lifestyle. I believe that USA is a strong country that influences Latin America in such a strong solid level. So in that, whatever the American media portrays about other far places in the world, the uneducated, ignorant or careless will believe it.

You are working at what I called The level of World in order to create change and that's is not only brave, but awesome! I want to do the same thing, but in the field of health- more specifically in Sexual health- which is very challenging.

Keep it going, do NOT stop in Honduras! Keep it going! Others will follow...... ;]